Meet the Search Engines
After a great lunch that unfortunately ended up more on my shirt than my stomach, we have a quick chat with two leading figures among the Google and Yahoo search teams, Priyank Garg – Director of Product Management for Yahoo Web Search and Greg Grothaus- Senior Software Engineer for the Google Search Quality Team.
The two head honchos go all out upsizing each other with innovation mania!
New innovations at Yahoo
- Yahoo BOSS (Build your own search service)
- Really imposing barriers to entry prevent new entries into the search industry so search is primed for innovation
- BOSS lets you build upon Yahoo’s current search offering and customise it
- You can re-rank results, blend results, use any monetization platform, access unlimited queries and present queries in any way. These are only some of the capabilities of BOSS
- Developers pay based on the volume of queries and type of query or they can display Yahoo search ads in lieu of payment if they meet certain requirements
- Yahoo SearchMonkey
- SearchMonkey is a tool for site owners to increase the quantity and quality of organic search traffic by customizing search results to make them more visually
- appealing and structured
- Designed for publishes and third party developers
- Very simple to implement
[I have only been preaching Search Monkey at every Friday arvo beer, chips and search sessions round at BCA (that's Bruce Clay Australia) HQ for the past 6 months... *mutter* But no one listens to me... - Kate]
- Google suggest with local flavour- the search recommendations now have a local slant to them
- Crawl error sources – these errors are now shown in context by providing links to the site and on which side of the link the error is located on
- Vulnerable Site Warnings – Google informs webmaster via webmaster tools if they think that your site is vulnerable to attack
- Google services for websites
- Search Wiki-if you are logged in with your Google account you can change the ranking of sites, comment on the pages etc
- PDF optical character recognition
- Improved flash indexing
Great to see reps from the big search engines here and keeping us updated on their new features and innovations.