RustySearch: The Search Engine Taste Test
Last month, we pointed out the white-labeled search engine idea by Barry (RustyBrick). Now he’s built it and put it up so that everyone can try it. The official rules are at The Search Engine Relevancy Challenge. The RustySearch engine pulls from the top four search engines, Google, Yahoo! Search, MSN Search and Ask Jeeves.
Officially the release is tomorrow but here’s the breakdown from the Search Engine Roundtable blog post.
- Go to RustySearch (will open in new window)
- Enter a search phrase and click search
- Click on the title, the URL or the “rate this result” link. The site will open up in a framed window, so do not open the result in a new window.
- At the top, there is a frame that says, “Rate the relevancy of this Web page for ‘search phrase here'”. Rate the result from one to five, one meaning a very poor relevancy and five meaning an excellent relevancy.
- After you click a radio option, it should read, “Thanks for your input! Your vote (and many others) will decide who, really, is the search engine king!”
- Then click on the button to take you back to the results
- Continue on by rating the next result on that page, or search on a different result.