SEO Archives - Page 3 of 17 - Bruce Clay, Inc. BlogSeptember 30, 2015
If your site gets featured in Direct Answers in search results, it can really boost traffic to your site. Don’t think of them as the enemy, but as a friend!
So say Eric Enge, Ehren Reilly and Amber Fehrenbach, who presented their key insights into Direct Answers at an SMX East session. Sharing data and examples straight from their agencies/brands, they showed:
- How Direct Answers is growing
- Benefits of being cited in a Direct Answer
- Advice for getting featured in Google Direct Answers
- Preferred tools to help optimize
- Which types of businesses lose
Read the liveblog for all the research and insights.
September 29, 2015
Content audits are worth it.
Or so says Mike King (@IPullRank). He’s diving into content audits in “Perfect Starts: How to Get More of the Right Traffic” at this SMX East 2015 session. Fair warning: he has a lot to say, and he talks fast — this liveblog captures the highlights.
Read more of the liveblog (and slides) for Content Audits Are Worth It
SEOs working on ecommerce sites face particular challenges and require some specialized know-how. At SMX East, speaker Adam Audette (@audette), the SVP of organic search at Merkle, reached out to SEO-savvy ecommerce-minded marketers in this short but fact-packed session on SEO for ecommerce sites.
As SEO marketers today, we need to be familiar with everything. However, there are two major pillars of SEO: the technical side and the audience side. Here are some of the main issues of each that relate to ecommerce sites.
Read the liveblog of SEO for Ecommerce: What You Need to Know
Looking for fresh ideas for content creation? Casie Gillette, Bill Hunt and Grant Simmons shared innovative ideas and examples of how to maximize engagement by creating content that really grabs your users. Read on to discover new content insights (that you haven’t heard before!) from SMX East’s “Content, Keyword Research & The Art of Audience Engagement.”
Read the liveblog coverage.
September 17, 2015
iPullRank founder Mike King joined me for a lively interview this morning, sharing key insights into digital marketing including:
- Why thinking about keywords is “a distraction”
- The value of keyword research
- His favorite lead generation tactic
- Challenges in working with high-stakes brands
This morning’s 13-minute interview is jam-packed with SEO goodness — and it’s just a taste of what’s to come when King delivers talks at Pubcon Las Vegas and SMX East later this month. Check out the interview!.
September 14, 2015
Gary Illyes: Panda Will Update Slowly with Refreshes, Penguin Updates Will Be Real-Time ━ Eventually
Google Webmaster Trends Analyst Gary Illyes joined Bruce Clay for a candid chat about topics vital to SEO, including content for mobile, Gary’s dream of a world where everyone employs HTTPS, and the reality of the Phantom updates — plus plenty of talk about penalties and algorithm updates.
Here are key highlights right off the bat:
- Panda updates will come slow with refreshes and Penguin updates will happen in real time
- HTTPS can be seen as a tiebreaker between otherwise equal sites
- Phantom was a core algorithm change
- Google considers Panda part of the core algorithm now and does not think of it as a penalty
- We are “months away” from the next Panda update
Watch the entire interview and/or read the transcript!
September 11, 2015
The SEO Scoop with Enge & Traphagen: New Stats on Direct Answers, Google+ Changes & ‘The Art of SEO’
Do you want the latest research on Direct Answers from Eric Enge? Want to hear early-adoption evangelist Mark Traphagen’s thoughts on the newest video chat technologies like Blab.im? Then you’ve come to the right place. The impressive Stone Temple Consulting duo took a break from their busy schedules to join me for a live Hangout on Air. It was the latest in a series of interviews with key speakers as we gear up for SMX East and Pubcon; we’ve been joined by Rand Fishkin, Danny Sullivan and Ginny Marvin, and we have Google’s Gary Illyes joining Monday.
In addition to Direct Answers and Blab.im, Enge and Traphagen shared their insights on:
- Personal brand building and how to use individual trust to boost brand trust
- The future of Google+ now that hangouts and photos stand on their own
- What’s different about the latest edition of “The Art of SEO”
- What content should do, and why marketers can’t afford to be afraid
Click through to watch the interview or read the transcript.
September 2, 2015
We’re off to see the Wizard — the Wizard of Moz, that is: Rand Fishkin! He’s keynoting Pubcon Las Vegas 2015, and he’s the latest guest in our distinguished speaker series.
Rand illuminated topics including:
- The ROI of giving away information via content/Whiteboard Friday
- What he’ll be addressing at Pubcon
- Google’s new logo and rebranding
- The war between time, energy and budget inside marketing teams
- How he brings the values of TAGFEE to life and work
August 27, 2015
Backlink analysis is a much-needed SEO skill today. Our SEO analysts spend hours analyzing backlinks for clients — whether they came to us specifically for help removing a Google penalty or not.
These days, all webmasters need to keep an eye on their backlink profiles to identify good links to count as wins and bad ones to target for link pruning. Here we’ve outlined our internal process for analyzing SEO client backlinks to judge which links to keep and which to get rid of. You’ll find recommendations along with resources to help with your own backlink cleanup including:
- Criteria for judging backlink quality
- How to nofollow links
- A handy Backlink Evaluation Flowchart
August 25, 2015
Yesterday morning, Danny Sullivan — a key SMX conference organizer and founding editor of Search Engine Land — shared his thoughts on SEO, the digital marketing industry, and how he keeps SMX at the top of its game. With his fellow Search Engine Land editor Ginny Marvin, they talk about the top things digital marketers must be paying attention to through the close of 2015, including mobile website experience, Yahoo Gemini, new tools and reporting, and direct answers. This rare opportunity to hear why SMX matters and what the year’s SEO trends are from Danny himself is not to be missed!
Check out the 18-minute video interview and read the transcript in What’s Trending at SMX: Danny Sullivan & Ginny Marvin Video Speed Interview.