The Awesome List: WordPress SEO Plugins
WordPress is awesome not only because it’s free and has so much functionality, but also because it’s compatible with Google and helps support SEO efforts.
Lucky for us WordPress users, a plethora of plugins exist to help regular ol’ bloggers operate their sites like designers, Web developers and SEOs.
Today, we’re going to talk about some awesome plugins for SEO on WordPress.
Just yesterday, a new content SEO plugin launched for WordPress from collaboration between Yoast, run by online marketer Joost de Valk and Linkdex, a software dev company.
- Title length
- Keyword in title
- Keyword position in title (where beginning is better)
- Length of body copy
- Keyword count in body
- Keyword density (both too high and too low)
- Keyword in first paragraph
- Flesch Reading Ease test
- Keyword in headings
- Whether the post has an image
- Keyword in image ALT
- No. of outbound links
- Whether the keyword is found in any of the outbound links
- Existence of a Meta description
- Length of the Meta description (too short and too long)
- Usage of keyword in Meta description
There are other plugins that aim to address content SEO, however the differentiator with this one, I’m told, is that it integrates very tightly into WordPress with no need for calls to external APIs; this allows your content to stay on your blog and your blog only.
Joost, along with Matt Roberts from Linkdex, hosts a webinar this Friday on how to optimize your WordPress blog posts for targeted keywords, and discusses the ins and outs of this new plugin.
A Plethora of SEO Plugins
I asked the SEO analysts around here at Bruce Clay, Inc. what plugins they recommend for WordPress. The conversation went something like this:
Me: “Does anyone have SEO plugins for WordPress they recommend?”
Analysts: “Oh yes, many!”
Me: “Many plugins? … Would you say you have a plethora of plugins?”
Analysts: A what?
Me: “A plethora.”
Analysts: [pause] Oh yes, we have a plethora.
Aside from the fact that the preceding dialogue was completely ripped off from the “¡Three Amigos!,” turns out, they do have a plethora of plugins to share with you.
Senior SEO analyst here, Bradley Leese, reminded me that while the popular All-in-One SEO Pack for WordPress is a good staple, each additional plugin has its own special function – and some plugins remedy the shortcomings of others.
So, folks, here’s a compilation of SEO plugins for WordPress from some of the staff here at Bruce Clay, Inc. — enjoy!
- Google XML Sitemaps Generator: Produces an XML Sitemap-compliant site map of the WordPress blog and is supported by Google and other major search engines.
- HeadSpace2: This plugin allows a user t manage Meta data including shortcuts for saving time such as mass editing of Meta information and dynamic descriptions.
- High Performance SEO: Allows you to configure more than 100 on-page characteristics without extra junk code in areas of main title, head section, secondary title, secondary descriptions, paged comments and duplicate content.
- Increase Sociability: Checks refer traffic to a post and gives a custom welcome message to those coming from Digg or StumbleUpon, asking them to give a positive vote for the post.
- Ping.fm Custom URL: Collects blog, microblog entries and status updates from people in your social networks and posts them to your blog with customizable Meta data.
- Redirection: This plugin manages 301 redirects and keeps track of 404 errors. Particularily helpful if you’re migrating pages form a former website.
- RSS Footer: Add an extra line of content to articles in your feed with a default “Post from (name),” linking back to your blog with the blog name as anchor text.
- SEO Friendly Images: Automatically updates all images with the proper ALT and title attrobutes, according to the criteria you set.
- Smart YouTube: Allows you to embed YouTube videos and playlists into posts, comments and RSS feed without using any external resources.
- Ultimate Google Analytics: An easy-to-install plugin that tracks Google Analytics data.
- WP-PageNavi: Adds advanced page navigation to a WordPress site.
- WP Super Cache: Works to increase the speed of your WordPress blog by generating html files served directly by Apache withour processing heavy PHP scripts.
- Yet Another Related Posts: This plugin displays a list of related entries based on a customizable algorithm, including post titles, content, tags and categories.
Do you have additional SEO plugins you recommend? Please share with us in the comments below!