SMX Sydney | Universal Search | Des O'Dell
Here he is, the captain of charisma, the doctor of details, the master of magnificence and the giver of raises ( hint hint ), Bruce Clay Australia’s very own Des O’Dell, speaking on Universal Search.
If you are not doing something for Universal search, you should be, there are still massive opportunities and threats in this space.
- Many more links on the page-25 in the example that Des used
- Many more results
- Shopping results are coming in Australia, so get ready for them
- Similar things happening in Bing as are happening in Google in terms of universal
- Can have less that 10 traditional blue links
- Not all universal features have been rolled out in Australia
It is going to continue to grow, if you are not doing universal search, then you need to do some. 86% of all queries had one instance of universal search and 74% of all queries had universal research above the fold. Number of links on a SERP is growing. Big difference between universal search coming up with popular and big searches and smaller companies. Minimal change in universal search occurrences from day to day however, the number of links within universal search does differ.
Use traditional SEO techniques to optimise the digital assets. News appears most in universal search whilst local ranks second. Use ‘how to videos’ to get good universal rankings.
How to get videos to rank
- Make a video the first thing on the page
- Use the words you are trying to rank for on the page
- Good quality images
- Good quality videos
- Use video sitemap
- Creating compelling videos
- Promote video
- Make sure the page speed is fast
- Universal search will increase
- Many opportunities and threats
- Optimise digital assets
- Use engagement objects
- Leverage traditional SEO strategies
Thanks Des, great as always.