Search Engine Optimization – How To Do SEO Guide
SEO Guide Sections:
- What is SEO?
- Why Do SEO?
- SEO Techniques
- How To Do SEO
- What Is In This How To Do SEO Guide
- Why You Can Trust This SEO Guide
- How Does a Website Rank, Anyway?
- FAQ: How can I effectively use SEO to improve my website’s ranking and visibility?
Search Engine Optimization, also known as organic SEO, uses various strategies to improve a website’s visibility and increase traffic in unpaid, algorithm-driven search engine results.
The main goal of SEO is to improve a website’s ranking on search engine results pages by fulfilling users’ search intent with relevant, high-quality, and authoritative content while providing the best possible user experience. The techniques used in SEO include on-page edits, off-page techniques, web server changes, and an understanding of Google RankBrain, E-E-A-T, and other AI systems.
SEO involves a complex series of hundreds of codependent variables that are weighted by keyword intent across a trillion webpages to determine the most appropriate answer to a query. This is not usually for the novice that wants a top-10 ranking out of millions of results for keywords that can change their lives. Highly competitive, this is a serious game best played by experts.
- SEO helps to increase a website’s visitor traffic from search engine organic rankings.
- SEO does that by making the site’s content more relevant and competent than the competition.
- SEO influences relevancy by improving the internal and external factors that influence experience, expertise, authoritativeness, and trustworthiness (E-E-A-T).
- SEO involves keywords, on-page content, links and mentions, server issues such as speed, page layout and performance, with a usual focus on Google search.
- SEO is a major part of digital marketing that includes technical web programming expertise combined with business, persuasion, sales, luck, magic, and a love for competitive puzzle solving.
NOTE: I personally believe that there will soon be a boost for engagement. If a page is not like a touch-and-learn then that opportunity for learning and even entertainment is lost. Add videos, add tools, add items that engage and your site will be better. Does that make it Engagement, Experience, Expertness, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness? I think so.
This section contains expert SEO information, software tools, and a tutorial guide answering how to do search engine optimization – SEO for your website for Google ranking. Answering “what is SEO” for web position results, how to optimize a website using what you have learned, and even including free tools and advice. We answer how to learn Search Engine Optimization.
On-page optimization – The modification of page content, navigation, structure and experience to enhance the ranking of a page in the search results.
SEO involves many search engine optimization elements: on-page technical issues, on-page copywriting issues, expertness (inbound, outbound, and internal links), server issues, and Siloing. In general, based upon the needs of the SEO services often include comprehensive page edits including META tags as needed, keyword research, review and advice on Silo structure implementation, creating, adding or revising content, sitemap validation (crawled and XML), Google Search Console and Analytics validation, search engine ranking reports, monthly status teleconferences with clients, analytics reporting (search statistics), accompanied by comprehensive account management. Linking within the site or page (link magnet research and development and other identified activities) will be validated.
The SEO will review the Website for key SEO elements believed to be important to facilitate organic search engine optimization. This review is conducted throughout the project to identify areas requiring repair. The SEO elements include site architecture and page construction (directory structure, layout, title, description, headings, image alts, and link tags), content (keyword frequency, density and distribution) and page speed performance. The purpose of the review is to identify SEO elements that could hinder the site from being well ranked in the search engines and will be used and adapted throughout the remainder of the SEO project. Since the search engines do not publish their ranking criteria or algorithms, a consulting project of this nature is based on professional experience, opinion and current beliefs – so to some extent it is a guess.
Off-page optimization – Gaining organic authoritative inbound links from other websites, proper placement of outbound links to other expert sites, the management of sentiment in discussions and comments about your website, and general branding activities.
The SEO will perform a link analysis review for the website to identify potential penalties, recommending opportunities and risks associated with existing or future linking opportunities and identifying strategies for opportunities to improve the expert stature of the site through linking programs. This review is conducted throughout the SEO project to identify areas requiring repair. The review will include existing inbound and outbound linking practices, and may include tasks associated with the removal of poor and generally harmful existing links (link pruning tasks).
SEO Tools – There are hundreds of tools available on the market, some free and some paid. In most cases the paid tools are very comprehensive and powerful. In many cases they are specific to a task such as focusing on spidering a website. In other cases there are free tools, commonly for the DIY SEO to economically use… although many can fail, produce inaccurate information, or just plain not match data in other tools. The tools are commonly reporting one-size-fits-all numbers and suggestions and often are not focused on a problem specific to your website.
Access to tools that are paid and address specific data points and are designed for experts are recommended.
SEO Training – Since SEO is never done, training is never done. It is easy to take one of many “once-and-done” training courses but a real SEO knows that SEO training is perpetual. Normally the needed information flows fast and freely via Twitter or LinkedIn along with newsletters and blogs… but there is a lot of information, and much is speculation. SEOs need a site that focuses on continual training such as SEOtraining.com to complement their other readings if they want to remain current in their hectic and often chaotic daily SEO life.
The components of a solid training program starts with a great SEO course, often online and occasionally classroom, plus other deeper-dive subject courses, webinars, eBooks, Q&A videos and occasionally site reviews and even coaching. This, on a regular basis, is what allows a SEO to remain current.
SEO: – It takes strategy and skill to improve both internal and external factors that influence ranking. Our SEO Guide covers how to do SEO with steps to follow and tools to use. For a high-level summary, check our SEO: How and Why blog post and our Simple Search Engine Optimization Guide.
We are experts. And we have created this series of individual guides to help you to understand the process, watch your progress, implement each sucessfully, and to ultimately achieve your SEO goals.
If you can do SEO better than your competitors, and you provide equal or better content for users, then you should achieve higher search engine rankings. And you’ll have a quality website capable of maintaining your revenue goals.
We have many tools and run our own research about what works and what does not. Here you’ll find information and research results covering many recognized areas considered important: expertise, authority, trust, RankBrain, algorithm variables, linking strategies, server considerations, speed, schema and much more. The fact is, this free SEO guide will lead you through what you need to get ranked.
Each “lesson” explains SEO basics and guides you to do hands-on optimization using free SEO tools and bonus videos. So you’ll improve your organic search marketing know-how and your website!
- Keyword Research Guide – How to Select Keywords
Includes: Keyword Suggestion tool
- Competitive Research Guide – Who’s Your SEO Competition?
Includes: Top-Ranked Websites by Keyword tool
- SEO Competitive Analysis Guide – Spy on Your Competition
Includes: Single Page Analyzer
- Choosing Keywords for SEO Relevance Guide
Includes: Search Engine Optimization/KSP tool
- Content Guide – Key Considerations when Writing Content
- Adding Keywords Guide – How to Use Keywords in Content
- Content Optimization Guide -How to Optimize Website Content for SEO
Includes: SEO Multi-Page Information tool, Single Page Analyzer
- Submission Guide – How to Submit a Website to Search Engines
Includes: Check Server Page tool
- Sitemaps Guide – How to Create a Sitemap
- Rich Media Guide -How to Engage Your Site Visitors
- Multimedia Guide – How to Optimize Multimedia Content for SEO
- Siloing Guide – How to Structure Your Website
- Link Building Guide – How to Attract Quality Links
- Avoiding Google Penalties
- Monitoring Backlinks and Link Pruning Guide
- Technical SEO Guide
Includes: SEO Cloaking Checker tool
- Mobile SEO and UX Optimization Guide
- Monitor Search Engine Rankings & SEO Progress Guide
Includes: Single Page Analyzer
- Final encouragement – SEO: The Job That’s Never Done
- BONUS: Watch our free Executive’s Guide to SEO video training to learn the fundamentals in under one hour.
The Bruce Clay SEO Guide follows the proven methodology that thousands of students have learned in our SEO training courses. It is based upon SEO research and experiments.
These lessons cover only “white hat” SEO methods.
Everything you learn here adheres to search engine guidelines — to keep your site out of the penalty box.
In this SEO tutorial, you’ll learn how to optimize your content effectively for search engine rankings and resulting SEO traffic. You’ll learn how to find technical SEO problems on your site. And you’ll learn how to earn the experience, expertise, authority and trust (E-E-A-T) that are the basis of Google’s definition of “quality.”
Bruce Clay set the standard for ethical web marketing by authoring the “SEO Code of Ethics.” This code has been translated into 18 languages. It has been a respected guideline in the ever-changing search marketing industry since 1996.
Search engines want to show the “best” results possible. They seek the most relevant, most expert and highest quality webpages that will satisfy the goal of the searcher.
To do this, the engines look at hundreds of factors (their ranking algorithm) to determine a webpage’s relevance to a search request.
Some of these factors are woven into the fabric of the website (on-page elements, server speed, etc.). Others are trust signals based on links from authoritative and reputable sites and, to some extent, social media engagement (off-page factors).
No single webpage, even with the best SEO practices and experts guiding the work, can be perfect in all 300+ ranking factors for the infinite number of keywords that exist. Search engine ranking comes from wisdom, expertise and sweat – and occasionally luck and magic. It definitely takes professionals to avoid it taking forever or the many pitfalls along the way. There is no “easy button”.
Further, no one knows precisely what the algorithm includes or how the factors are weighted to determine the search results for a given keyword or query.
So what’s a business owner or marketer to do?
This SEO guide teaches you a “beat the leader” approach to search engine ranking.
These are proven methods that have worked with our search marketing clients.
Think about it …
If you want to see what Google or Bing thinks is best for any specific query, you just need to look at the sites they are currently rewarding — the top-ranked results. Once you analyze what structural and content choices worked for the leaders, you can do even better. You can make your pages the “least imperfect”!
Then what is
SEO is a combination of digital marketing efforts all working together to increase a site’s value to users and visibility in search.
Watch this video for an entertaining intro to the role of SEO!
Ready to dive in? Go to Lesson 1!
It is not the job of search engine optimization to make a pig fly. It is the job of SEO to genetically re-engineer the website so that it becomes an eagle.
Creating a website that offers a good user experience is one goal. But the site must also achieve high rankings. That involves more than just tags and keywords, or content writing, or links, or speed. It requires an integrated SEO effort.
It is difficult to do this type of project without a proven SEO method and strong tools. This tutorial teaches you
Before you begin this guide, understand that being among the top 3 rankings in search engine results can be achieved, but not without great effort. Your webpages must earn that high ranking with high-quality content and best-practice SEO.
Even for the best websites, maintaining a top organic SEO ranking also requires monitoring and content rework. The work at hand never slows — but neither does your competition.
Ready to learn? Let’s get started! The Bruce Clay SEO Guide begins with keyword research.
Looking for a short SEO Checklist? Try ours!
Need to learn SEO for the non-SEO? We’ve got you covered.
Jump to the top
Understanding and implementing effective Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategies is paramount. To achieve heightened website ranking and visibility, consider these expert insights:
Starting with comprehensive keyword research lays the foundation for successful SEO. By identifying relevant keywords that align with your content and audience’s search intent, you’re better equipped to create valuable and engaging content. Tools like Google Keyword Planner and SEMrush can aid in this process.
Content quality reigns supreme. Craft well-researched, informative, and engaging content that addresses your audience’s needs. Not only does this attract readers, but it also establishes your authority in your niche. Regularly update your content to reflect industry trends and user queries.
Optimize on-page elements to enhance user experience and search engine crawlability. Develop concise and descriptive meta titles and descriptions, incorporating your target keywords. Ensure images are properly labeled with alt text, aiding accessibility and SEO.
Link building remains a vital aspect of SEO. Cultivate high-quality backlinks from authoritative sources in your industry. This not only drives direct traffic but also signals search engines that your content is valuable and trustworthy.
User experience (UX) is integral to SEO success. A well-designed, mobile-responsive, and easy-to-navigate website enhances user engagement, reducing bounce rates. Site speed is also critical, so optimize images, leverage browser caching, and choose a reliable hosting provider.
Step-by-Step Procedure: Enhancing Website Ranking and Visibility through SEO
- Keyword Research: Begin with thorough keyword research to identify relevant terms.
- Content Creation: Develop high-quality, informative content centered around chosen keywords.
- On-Page Optimization: Optimize meta titles, descriptions, headers, and image alt text.
- Technical SEO: Ensure proper website structure, mobile-friendliness, and fast loading times.
- Quality Backlinks: Cultivate authoritative backlinks from reputable sources.
- User-Friendly Design: Create a responsive, easy-to-navigate website with intuitive design.
- Regular Updates: Keep your content fresh and aligned with current industry trends.
- Social Signals: Utilize social media platforms to amplify your content’s reach.
- Local SEO: Optimize for local searches if applicable to your business.
- User Intent: Understand user intent behind keywords to tailor content effectively.
- Competitor Analysis: Analyze competitors’ strategies for insights and differentiation.
- Mobile Optimization: Prioritize mobile users with responsive design and fast load times.
- Schema Markup: Implement structured data to enhance search result visibility.
- Content Promotion: Share your content across relevant online platforms.
- Analytics Monitoring: Regularly track and analyze website performance using tools like Google Analytics.
- Site Security: Ensure HTTPS encryption to boost user trust and SEO rankings.
- Voice Search Optimization: Consider optimizing for voice search queries.
- Internal Linking: Connect related content within your website to improve navigation.
- Long-Form Content: Develop in-depth, comprehensive articles that provide value.
- Adaptation: Stay updated with SEO algorithm changes and adapt your strategies accordingly.
By following these steps, you’ll navigate the complex realm of SEO and enhance your website’s ranking and visibility, ultimately reaching a wider audience and achieving your online goals.