Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Search Engine Optimization: a collection of methodologies and best practices that helps a site with expert information get more search engine traffic. It helps your web
- SEO helps to increase a website’s visitor traffic from search engine organic rankings.
- SEO does that by making the site’s content more relevant and competent than the competition.
- SEO influences relevancy by improving the internal and external factors that influence expertise, authoritativeness and trustworthiness (E-A-T).
- SEO involves keywords, on-page content, links and mentions, server issues such as speed, page layout and performance, with a usual focus on Google search.
- SEO is a major part of digital marketing that includes technical web programming expertise combined with business, persuasion, sales, luck, magic and a love for competitive puzzle solving.
Learn how to do SEO with strategies and tactics to improve both internal and external factors that influence ranking. It covers how to do SEO for yourself with steps and tools SEO’s follow. We have expanded this content with our online SEO training course and YouTube videos.
If you can do SEO better than your competitors, then you should achieve higher search engine rankings. And you’ll have a quality website capable of maintaining your revenue goals.
What Is in This SEO Guide
We have many tools and run our own research about what works and what does not. Here we provide information and research results covering many recognized areas considered important: expertise, authority, trust, RankBrain, algorithm variables, linking strategies, server considerations, speed, schema and much more. The fact is that this SEO guide will lead you through what you need to get ranked.
Each lesson guides you through SEO basics to hands-on optimization using free SEO tools and bonus videos. Improve your organic search marketing know-how and your website!
- Keyword Research – How to Select Keywords
Includes: Keyword Suggestion tool
- Competitive Research – Who’s Your SEO Competition?
Includes: Top-Ranked Websites by Keyword tool
- SEO Competitive Analysis – Spy on Your Competition
Includes: Single Page Analyzer
- Choosing Keywords for SEO Relevance
Includes: Search Engine Optimization/KSP tool
- Key Considerations when Writing Content
- How to Use Keywords in Content
- How to Optimize Website Content for SEO
Includes: SEO Multi-Page Information tool, Single Page Analyzer
- How to Submit a Website to Search Engines
Includes: Check Server Page tool
- Sitemaps – How to Create a Sitemap
- Using Rich Media to Engage Your Site Visitors
- How to Optimize Multimedia Content for SEO
- Siloing – How to Structure Your Website
- Link Building – How to Attract Quality Links
- Avoiding Google Penalties
- Monitoring Backlinks and Link Pruning
- Technical SEO Tips
Includes: SEO Cloaking Checker tool
- Mobile SEO and UX Optimization
- How to Monitor Search Engine Rankings & SEO Progress
Includes: Single Page Analyzer
- Final encouragement – SEO: The Job That’s Never Done
Why You Can Trust This SEO Guide
The Bruce Clay SEO Guide follows the proven methodology that thousands of students have learned in our SEO training courses. It is based upon SEO research and experiments.
These lessons cover only “white hat” SEO methods.
Everything you learn here adheres to search engine guidelines — to keep your site out of the penalty box.
In this SEO tutorial, you’ll learn how to optimize your content effectively for search engine rankings and resulting SEO traffic. You’ll learn how to find technical SEO problems on your site. And you’ll learn how to earn the expertise, authority and trust (E-A-T) that are the basis of Google’s definition of “quality.”
Bruce Clay set the standard for ethical web marketing by authoring the “SEO Code of Ethics.” This code has been translated into 18 languages. It has been a respected guideline in the ever-changing search marketing industry since 1996.
How Does a Website Rank, Anyway?
Search engines want to show the “best” results possible. They seek the most relevant, most expert and highest quality webpages that will satisfy the goal of the searcher.
To do this, the engines look at hundreds of factors (their ranking algorithm) to determine a webpage’s relevance to a search request.
Some of these factors are woven into the fabric of the website (on-page elements, server speed, etc.). Others are trust signals based on links from authoritative and reputable sites and, to some extent, social media engagement (off-page factors).
No single webpage, even with the best SEO practices and experts guiding the work, can be perfect in all 300+ ranking factors for the infinite number of keywords that exist. Search engine ranking comes from wisdom, expertise and sweat – and occasionally luck and magic. It definitely takes professionals to avoid it taking forever or the many pitfalls along the way. There is no “easy button”.
Further, no one knows precisely what the algorithm includes or how the factors are weighted to determine the search results for a given keyword or query.
So what’s a business owner or marketer to do?
This SEO guide teaches you a “beat the leader” approach to search engine ranking.
These are proven methods that have worked with our search marketing clients.
Think about it …
If you want to see what Google or Bing thinks is best for any specific query, you just need to look at the sites they are currently rewarding — the top-ranked results. Once you analyze what structural and content choices worked for the leaders, you can do even better. You can make your pages the “least imperfect”!
Then what is
SEO is a combination of digital marketing efforts all working together to increase a site’s value to users and visibility in search.
Watch this video for an entertaining intro to the role of SEO!
Ready to dive in? Go to Lesson 1!
It is not the job of search engine optimization to make a pig fly. It is the job of SEO to genetically re-engineer the website so that it becomes an eagle.
Creating a website that offers a good user experience is one goal. But the site must also achieve high rankings. That involves more than just tags and keywords, or content writing, or links, or speed. It requires an integrated SEO effort.
It is difficult to do this type of project without a proven SEO method and strong tools. This tutorial teaches you
Before you begin this guide, understand that being among the top 3 rankings in search engine results can be achieved, but not without great effort. Your webpages must earn that high ranking with high-quality content and best-practice SEO.
Even for the best websites, maintaining a top organic SEO ranking also requires monitoring and content rework. The work at hand never slows — but neither does your competition.
Ready to learn? Let’s get started! The Bruce Clay SEO Guide begins with keyword research.
Looking for a short SEO Checklist? Try ours!