10 Essential Tips on Writing for the Web
Gone are the days of just writing compelling content and publishing it. Now you need to consider search engine rankings as well as engagement. Do a search on “SEO copywriting“ and you will find plenty of tips, but many don’t cover all the basics.
If your business relies on online leads, sales and contacts, it could not be more vital to get this right, ALL the time.
Read our 10 tips on SEO and content structures:
- Consider your topic, your target audience, and how you would describe this topic using words or phrases only. Write these down.
- Check the search volumes of your keywords using a keyword tool. Make sure there are people searching on your keywords and related words. Don’t be precious. Change or extend your keywords if necessary.
- Where ever possible use supporting words as well as your keywords regularly throughout your text, keeping the user’s needs in mind at all times.
- Explore the use of bold and highlighting for keywords and phrases to attract the eye and highlight these points.
- Use lists and bullet points to support scanning.
- Always insert relevant headings on the page. Use the heading tags to help structure the content and make the content and theme of a page clear.
- Write Meta data for the page, ensuring they include the relevant keywords and clearly describe what the page is about.
- Where appropriate insert hyperlinks into the content using relevant anchor text of no more than 5 words for each.
- The content must read well, have correct grammar, good structure, and of course, spelling.
- Be mindful of keyword usage. Do not keyword stuff anything, anywhere.
These Copywriting tips have been provided by Bruce Clay, one of Australia’s leading Search Engine Optimisation companies.
Bruce Clay Australia delivers a 1/2 day Copywriting for the Web and SEO training course. The course incorporates the latest search engine developments and guidelines and is based on the fundamentals of SEO and user engagement. The next course will take place in Sydney on August 25th. To find out more, visit our SEO copywriting training page.