Rank-Mobile, Cindy Krum on What's New In Mobile Search
This was the 3rd session in the Blended & Mobile Search Track.
Rank-Mobile provides mobile marketing consulting for companies who want to drive traffic, sales and loyalty through the mobile channel focussing on mobile development and search engine optimisation.
Cindy takes the floor and start out with a little bit about why mobiles are different to the traditional browser, she includes details like the small screen, the location based search, the immediateness. Cindy goes on to explain that mobile SEO is so vital because of the convergence of people onto the platform and the unique interactive marketing possibilities that mobile facilitates.
Things are changing, and fast, as we move to 3G and open Wifi access enabling richer content through speedy downloads. It’s also a lot less pricy than it used to be. [Although not as cheap as it could be – Kate]
Test to see where your site ranks on the iPhone using iSearch and Google Mobile App for your iPhone
Mobile Site Architecture & Usability
- .mobi domains are particularly bad for SEO
- Not universally accepted or known by users
- Cumbersome development standards
- Limited useful life – don’t need to separate sites as the mobile browsing experience improves with new hardware and web browsers, iPhone and newer smart phones
- Test your site on the most popular mobile web browsers to see how it renders. For example, flash content may not display, multi-column websites need to display content first rather than forcing users to scroll through the navigation column first
- Code in clean XHTML code with CSS as valid as possible, this helps to make sure your site displays better as new mobile handsets and browsers are released