35 SEO Interview Questions You Must Ask a Prospective SEO Analyst
The digital marketing job market is hot right now as companies rely more and more heavily on their online presence to achieve business objectives. SEO, in particular, is one of the most in-demand digital marketing jobs.
If you’re looking to hire an SEO analyst or consultant, we want to help you find the right one. That’s why we’re sharing 35 of the exact SEO interview questions that we’ve used in the past when hiring an SEO analyst here at Bruce Clay Inc.
Keep in mind that at our SEO agency, we only hire experts with 5 or more years’ experience in their fields. So some of these questions are advanced.
Nonetheless, these questions allow candidates to talk about their SEO experience and reveal their digital marketing knowledge and strategy. Pick and choose as you please.
Ready to let an SEO specialist come alongside your in-house team? Request a quote to find out about our flexible SEO consulting services.
35 SEO Interview Questions
- How did you learn SEO?
- Why did you choose SEO as a career?
- Regarding your previous SEO job, what did an average day look like?
- How do you stay updated on industry news and algorithm changes?
- What makes a website search engine-friendly?
- What steps do you use to develop an SEO strategy?
- What SEO tools do you regularly use?
- What metrics do you use to measure SEO success?
- What programming languages do you have experience with?
- What content management systems have you worked with?
- How do you adapt to the needs of different clients?
- How often do you communicate with clients?
- How do you stay organized when working on an SEO project?
- What’s your most extraordinary digital marketing success story?
- How do you approach keyword research?
- What is your opinion on proper link building?
- How do you conduct an audit for toxic links?
- How have you dealt with link penalties?
- What is E-A-T and how would you strengthen E-A-T for a brand?
- What is local SEO?
- What are on-page SEO and off-page SEO?
- What are common SEO mistakes?
- What is the relationship between SEO, SEM and social media marketing?
- What is a competitive analysis?
- What is a keyword gap analysis?
- What is a canonical issue?
- What should a technical SEO audit include?
- What are the most essential schema markups for a website?
- Explain the main components of Google’s Core Web Vitals.
- Why is website accessibility important?
- Can you explain the importance of content siloing?
- What are key issues to consider when helping a website perform a site migration?
- What is your process for helping a local business become more visible in search results?
- What method do you use to redirect a page?
- How have you used structured data to earn featured snippets?
Aside from the SEO interview questions that can help you better understand the candidate’s technical skills and experience, there are soft skills you’ll want to look for as well. These include: communication skills, relationship skills, time management skills, prioritization skills and work ethic.
For other potential digital marketing interview questions, check out our 15 Content Writer Interview Questions You Need to Ask.
Are you in need of an SEO agency? Request a free quote from us. We’d love to talk to you about your digital marketing needs!